Tuesday 26 February 2008

travelling abroad.

That I want to got out of this miserable country and find some warm weather for a bit. I saw a photo of a mountain range is a hot country earlier today and it made me feel like I wanted to be there. It was like a sudden flash of "that would be good to relax". A moment later I thought "I would only want to be there with one person at the moment too."

All in all I am feeling drained and it's only tuesday this week. I was concidering going home for a weekend this weekend.. just to get out the country.. but I can't justify it as I will probably be working over some of the weekend anyway.

So...

When I was in Australia, one trip I went on was to sail on a 87ft Super Maxi racing yaght. It was in the Whitsunday Islands which are between Cairns and Brisbane.



The vessel was called "The Condor" and it was a lovely yacht. I was able to take the helm on a few occasions and it was terrific, so responsive. However for the most part I was a grunt running the winches and hanging over the side when sailing fast. Only thing that agnoyed me on the whole 3 days was that we were given a chance to race another ship, but because someone onboard had caught sight of a dolphin, half the crew decided to leave the race and check the dolphin out instead. It irritated me a little bit especially as the dolphin disapeared immediately afterwards.

Anyways we sailed for 3 days from Airly Beach around Hamilton island and stopped off at a few beaches for snorkling and chilling time. I had an amazing time and I look forward to maybe going there again.

The YACHT was being run by 3 full time crew (skipper, cook and first mate). Then there were 12 brits all from mixtures of places and genders and two dutch girls. We got on alright. 4 of the brit guys were friends from home and were terribly chique. I was there on the 6 weeks holiday alone and this worked best in most cases, in this case, I was an outsider.. Despite this the other guys were great and it was a really good time. So relaxing!

I remember one evening watching the Nectoluca in the water sparkling as we drank wine and got hammered.

No comments: