Monday 3 March 2008

Right Right.. where was I.. :^)

So there I was in the jungle waiting for my helicopter.. The meal we ate was a little unsettling (spicy!) but all in all it was a gloriously exciting day. Eventually after a few hours of waiting a "thud thud thud" noise of helicopter blades cut into the air and we knew the next stage of the job was kicking off.

As a group we went back to the air strip which was looking brigher than ever.. We were still in shade at the edge of the air strip while the absence of trees makes the sunlight shine in and shows the ground as a dusty green.

The chopper had landed and we all climbed on board one after the other with our life jackets on around our necks.

The view on the way out was AMAZING.. I have been on well over 100 helicopter rides, but this one sticks out as one of the best. The rain forrest was below me and we were cruzing at around 100m. Terrific patches of grass and river as the jungle canopy openned every now and then. After 30 minutes of flight, we reached the coast and the great brown sea where the amazon chucks out all off the sedement. I know this area as a ROFI (Region Of Freshwater Influence). I worked out later that the water remained brown for around 70 km from the coast. Eventually we decended closer to water and we saw the rig we were headed for.

This was an old american rig, didn't look amazing.. But hell I was getting off it shortly anyway. The Chopper landed with a light judder and after a few moments we stepped outside, picked up our luggage, and decended into the bowels of the rig.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No no that can't possibly be the end! Seems there's more to tell to me!