Monday 3 March 2008

The story went on...

We entered the "Heli Admin Room" signed our names and were dispatched to the canteen for a cup of coffee. The thing that amazes me about american rigs, is the amount of cake and sweets they have ALWAYS avaliable. I had a few cups of coffe and a slice of cake while waiting and eventually the crane was ready for my next journey.

I put on another life jacket and walked across the helideck again. This time a "basket" was there that I had to climb onto and be hoisted some 30m into the air and over the sea to a supply vessel that was now bobbing up and down near the rig.

I don't like using these things, they are banned in some parts of the world as they are erm.. somewhat unsafe.. infact do a search for the image..

Offshore Basket transfer

On the rig I met up with a guy who was to become a friend when I moved to Houston. He showed me around the vessel and our equipment. We were on 12 hour shifts me and him.. I was working from 12 o'clock lunch time until 12 o'clock midnight. He showed me the procedures for a few hours until 3 and then he went to bed to catch some zzzz's as I finished off my shift and added an hour for him to get a little extra sleep.

No comments: